Story thread · 2 reports / 2 sources

Concern over number of building collapses

sanews.gov.za · 3h · first report

Concern over number of building collapses Public Works Minister Dean Macpherson says investigations into four building collapses, when considered together, point to recurring weaknesses across parts of the built-environment system. “The principal problem identified by these investigations is inconsistent implementation, inadequate oversight, weak enforcement and non-compliance. At the same time, the reports identify areas in which the regulatory framework itself requires modernisation and strengthening,” the Minister said on Thursday, in Pretoria. Macpherson was presenting the findings of investigations into four building and construction incidents that occurred in South Africa between December last year and March this year. The investigations were commissioned against the backdrop of a deeply concerning period for building safety in the country. The investigations followed serious incidents at Redcliffe in Verulam, eThekwini; Doornkop in Soweto; Ormonde in Johannesburg; and the Magnol

The coverage

  1. News24 | Dean Macpherson lays bare the failures behind four building collapses

    news24.com · 3h

The conversation · 0

Sign in to join the conversation.

No comments yet — start the thread.