Story thread · 3 reports / 2 sources

Frustration grows as 125K remain without power in NW Indiana nearly a week after derecho

nbcchicago.com · 20h · first report

Frustration grows as 125K remain without power in NW Indiana nearly a week after derecho

How the coverage leans

Across 2 sources · syndicated copies counted once

More than 125,000 people remained without power across northwest Indiana on Sunday as outages stretched into a sixth day following Tuesday’s derecho. As the outages approach one week, residents said they’re losing patience. Leaders in Dyer, Indiana, and Munster, Indiana, said NIPSCO is not doing its part to get the lights back on. “I walk here almost every day and I’ve noticed those, I thought, ‘seems like that’s something you’d get on right away’ since the poles are down,” one resident said. Downed power lines and homes left in the dark were a sight across some communities in Dyer. “We are just over 50% of our population is still without power days in and frankly in town it’s reached a boiling point,” said Town Council President Robert Starkey. Homes aren’t the only ones running on generators, critical infrastructure is too. Police departments, fire stations, lift stations and wastewater treatment facilities were all running on backup generators. “The first to go is food in the refrig

The coverage

  1. Many NW Indiana residents remain without power as recovery from last week's storms continues

    abc7chicago.com · 2h

The conversation · 0

Sign in to join the conversation.

No comments yet — start the thread.